mercoledì 22 maggio 2013

My volunteering experience in Costa Rica: teaching english in elementary school Thomas Guardia



A few years ago I decided I wanted to take part as a volunteer in a teaching project with an international volunteering association because I wanted to give a helping hand to some Costa Rican children in learning English. My dad’s from New Jersey so I speak english.
Finally after months I managed to organize everything and leave for my long dreamed destination: Liberia (capital of the Guanacaste province, north west of Costa Rica) and  although I had prepared my lessons before leaving Italy, where I live, and have to admit I was a bit worried with the basic rules of the language (since I’ m a mother tongue - father tongue - I have no idea about how the grammar works  -_-'   ), I have to say the experience was excellent. 


The children were so sweet and gave me so much. I was learning from them…they gave me advice on which places I should have visited and helped me improve my spanish quite a lot! Which is also the reason why I chose this wonderful central american country as the destination for my volunteering.
 My placement was in Bagaces, which I reached after a thirty minutes bus ride. My work was divided in mornings and afternoons, so when I started in the morning I had to get up at 5.15! But it was worth the effort. It was really nice to get to the school and see so many of the kids smiling and running towards me saying “Hola Ana!” (my name became Ana or Anita in Costa Rica ;)  ).




 After my placement ended ( I did a month) many of the children kept on writing to me via facebook or on my phone. I also stayed in contact with the teacher for a while, she now and then told me the kids were missing me and didn't like the new volunteer who came after me!! 
I never thought I would have attached so much to these wonderful and funny children! It was also satisfactory seeing how the children cared about getting good marks on their homework or their exams and stayed seated until they had finished their work although it was break time. I also have to admit that the work I had prepared at home was more than enough (I actually used very little of my material , since the age of the children was lower than what I expected so grammar for intermediate or high levels wasn’t necessary). A typical day was about five or six hours long and mainly I helped the teacher when it was time for a dictation or when I could help out with a “more english” pronunciation of words. Occasionally I had the class all for me and there came the time for games or learning new vocabulary. Of course the children liked when that moment came. And learning didn’t end when the bell rang! During break many children would gather with me and ask me things about my country etc…they’re really curious.


I advice future volunteers that choose Costa Rica in a period between October and April that it’s very hot! Don’t let this put you down on your placements…you’ll get used to it!!! Also, the kids are really super active: they run, jump around, scream etc…so don’t expect a class of silent still children. Do not loose your temper if they get easily distracted or don’t listen! If they are interested they’ll be following…so try to get them interested in what you’re doing! :-)

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento